Saturday, November 17, 2012

End of an Era

***Just a precursor, If you dont care about breastfeeding you can stop now because that is all this post is about :) ***

Well its official, we are no longer breast-feeding.  We made it 17 months and I am positive L would have liked to go longer but, we really want to expand our family and I think the continuation of breastfeeding is hindering our efforts.

This was really something that gave me a lot of anxiety, I didn't want it to be too traumatic for L, I didn't want mastitis again for the 3rd time, It seemed like such a huge transition, it was a huge part of our daily routine and process I wasn't sure how it was going to ever happen, I really had nightmares that I would be the one with the 3 yr old nursing haha!

The thought actually entered my head a several months ago when I decided I did not need to pump at work anymore, I really wanted more social time at lunch and didn't want to run away to pump LOL, once that went ok for a while I would just nurse at home when I was off work but always before bed and in the AM.  This is what I was worried about.

FInally, one day I decided we were done...or so I thought...I put L to bed that night without milk...and he went to sleep.  No crying no fuss...I was in disbelief, was this really going to be that easy??

By the next morning I was pretty engorged and sore and had a fleeting thought that this was actually over, this thing that was such a huge part of our life and such a huge bonding event in our daily life was over.  I got really sad and when L woke he was crying and I just couldn't help but to nurse him.  I just needed that one last moment. Which ended up being the next two mornings as well.

By about the third day we were done...I would be slightly sore but really could tell there wasn't much milk anymore.  L would get fussy but when he would pull on my shirt I would get him a sippy cup of warm milk and distract him with TV or something else.  It honestly went way way easier than I thought, no mastitis only a few meltdowns by L and really no other issues.

We had originally thought 18 months would be our cut off but I think once we decided we were done we were done and so we made it 17 months, I am so proud of us and can only hope that we will be blessed with more babies in the future and have once again a great breast-feeding situation.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I loved breast feeding and stopping was hard, but we really wanted to expand our family. The first week or so was difficult, but she adjusted. Wishing you the best of luck on expanding your family


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved