Monday, December 5, 2011

Baby Food Made by Momma

SO while I was pregnant and actually probably before I was pregnant I had decided I wanted to make my own baby food.  I have seen and smelled jarred food and was honestly completely disgusted by it.

I came across this blog Styleberry Blog and besides the fact that she is awesome she had a really awesome post about making her baby food.  I am very much a visual person and she has this video that shows step by step her process.  After watching that and reading her food post I was completely sold 100%!

I have only done sweet potatoes and pumpkin so far as that's all we have tried, I plan to do a big shopping trip soon to stockpile my freezer with different foods for him for when we get to them.

The sweet potatoes were beyond easy, All I did was wash them, poke holes in them and wrap them in foil then bake on 400 for 30-45 minutes...be sure to watch them so they don't overcook.  Once they are done just scoop the meat out of the skin and put into the blender (I used the magic bullet) with some water and puree adding more water depending on the thinness you want. I then put it into ice cube trays and into the freezer.

Shawna of Styleberry blog recommends these ice cube trays, and so do I.  Each cube is an ounce so its good to keep track of how much baby eats and also it makes storage so much more space efficient since the cubes line up perfectly in a gallon size freezer ziploc.

I was initially very intimidated by the pumpkin but I thought the health benefits for L outweighed the scaredness of me haha.  In reality it wasn't hard at all.  To start, I cut the pumpkin in half then scooped out the innards
Then put them open side down in a baking dish with about 1-2 inches of water and bake on 400 for an hour.  The skin will pull away from the meat and this is what mine looked like I obviously had already scooped out the one half.  It was so easy since it was basically already separated.
Then you do the same thing as with the sweet potatoes just puree and put into the ice cube trays which look like this
I really followed the process from the blog I linked to above, I also used the website Wholesome Baby which is a fantastic resource.

Once again, the process was so easy and I actually tasted both things which they were both tasty, I honestly would not really expect my child to eat something that is foul tasting, I honestly taste everything I give him!

5 comments:

Paige said...

Thank you again for posting this! You make it sound so easy and I pray that it is! haha. My sister and I will have to get together and have a baby food making day whenever it becomes that time!

Unknown said...

Good for you mama! I'm more of a jarred baby food girl myself, but this looked super easy!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

I made W's food too and loved it! It was really easy and next baby I'd love to try more purees. Check out Annabel Karmel's book. http://www.amazon.com/Top-100-Baby-Purees-Healthy/dp/0743289579

I want to get it next time. You can also check her website for recipes by age.

julia b said...

So great! I can't wait until Perry is ready for real food and I can't wait to make it! Landon is too adorable. :)
I wanted to let you know that I gave you a little award that is on my blog today. I'm very inspired by so much of what you do as a mama and thankful that we have been able to chat about diapers/breastfeeding/etc.! xo

Becki Moore said...

YAY! I've made all of our baby food too and find it fun & rewarding to see your baby enjoying something so pure, healthy & delicious! Plus it's EASY! My boys' favorite was pumpkin and butternut squash!

P.S. I gave your blog a little award today on my blog!


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved