Monday, August 22, 2011

Back to Work

This past week I went back to work.  It was hard for me but I think harder for L.

I work night shift so I work from 630pm to 7am three nights a week, so I just kept telling myself he would be going to bed soon and will just be waking up when I get home.

Well, daddy didn't "practice" putting him to bed much during the time I was off so this was a bit of an I Told You So situation.

Due to this fact, L was totally out of his comfort zone since I am the one that always bathes him, feeds him, and puts him to bed.  He cried for hours and it broke my heart every time I called to check on him and I could hear him crying in the background. It ripped my heart out because I was completely helpless.  Once they got him to sleep around 11pm he proceeded to wake up about every 1-2 hours all night long. They didn't put the right diaper on him at night or give him the right bottle before bed(it has more milk in it to "tank him up") and they didn't swaddle him correctly.  I was so frustrated because I tried so many times when I was off to get daddy to practice and to learn these things and he said he just wanted to deal with it when the time came and therefore L was the one who had to deal with those consequences, I should have been more firm and made him do it anyway.

After such a traumatic night, when I got home that next morning L wouldn't even look at me, it broke my heart.  Grandpa (who is watching him until we find a sitter) wanted to take him for a morning walk and I just wanted to be selfish and say no I just want to hold him.  But I didn't and let him go for a walk.  Around 9 am I was woken to L crying I went and got him and brought him to bed with me.  I fed him and he proceeded to sleep with me the rest of the day until 3pm when I had to get up to get ready for work. It was much needed cuddle time for both of us and made my heart smile.

The next night daddy had to work until 11pm so grandpa was on duty by himself.  I made sure to reiterate all the things he needs to do in order to have a smoother night.  He listened, and L went to bed as he usually does peacefully around 830pm, that night he woke about 3 times but it went much smoother than the night before, the next night went even smoother and I think they realized that when I say to do something a certain way its not because I'm neurotic, its for a reason, thats what he likes, I have spent the past three months learning these things.

I know with time L will adjust and get used to me not being there at night its just so hard to see him miss me, and the night time routine is my favorite part of the day so its so hard to miss out on that but at least its only three nights a week.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Try not to stress too much. Little one's pick up on your anxiety. I was a single parent when I had Little O and it was so hard to change our pattern after 3 months but have faith, it will all work out. Sending you happy thoughts!

The Balch Bunch said...

OH going back to work is the hardest. After you spend every waking moment learning their ins and outs it is hard to leave. Don't hesitate to e-mail if you ever need to vent or anything.... this is from one working momma to another!


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved