Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mortifying Moment #3937438

So you know how sometimes you have several thoughts in your head at one time and you try to speak and they all come out at once jumbled up making no sense?  Yeah I did that the other night at work and thought I was going to die right then and there.

I am a nurse in the NICU and I had just started my shift, now mind you this was my first night of the week so it wasn't like I had been working several days and was tired or anything it was literally 20 minutes or so into my first shift of the week.  A dad came to a baby's bedside and I went over introduced myself and updated him.  I walk away.  2 seconds later the mom walks in and goes to the bedside so in my head I was thinking "Oh that must be mom I need to go talk to her now." SO I go back to the baby's bedside and in my head the following thoughts were swimming "HI I am Katie I am your baby's nurse tonight" and "Are you mom?"

Well....this is what came out "Hi, I'm mom"  

This lady looked at me like and who the hell do you think you are this is my baby bitch I  have the scars to prove it...instantly I corrected myself turned beet red and died right there on the spot.  Everyone laughed though I corrected myself ten billion times and she told me it looks like I'm gonna have a long night....Hopefully she wasn't thinking dear God save my child this nurse is looney tunes!! They were a super sweet family and it was probably just a good comic relief for them and I'm sure it was mostly really embarrassing and awkward for me more than anyone else but yeah I die laughing every time I think about it. 

3 comments:

Cat Woman said...

That is so funny. I have done some major fopaahs (sp?) at work. You want the floor to cover you up. That was funny "Mom." I laughed out loud too.

Brittany said...

I once was thinking about my mom at work and walked up to a woman and said "May I help you, Mom" instead of "May I help you, Ma'am." I was MORTIFIED!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I can explain this in writing but I had one of those moments at work the other night. I was taking care of a black baby and a white family walked up...well, earlier in the day the white baby was in that bedside and got moved and the black baby came in. Instead of saying "your baby moved to bed whatever" I said "This baby is not the same color as you." Talk about mortifying. Ha, they laughed as I apologized and explained what was supposed to come out of my mouth. I'm glad I'm not the only one it happens to.


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved