Wednesday, May 6, 2009

BELIZE

Ok so WOW where have I been!! I have so many posts I need to post... I was in Belize for 10 days over Easter and came home and life has been a bit of a whirlwind since on top of the fact that our Internet was down until about a week ago.

so here I am lets begin

BELIZE ... wow what an amazing trip

I went with an awesome group based out of Slidell, La called Dos Amigos we flew into Belize City, Belize and then took this microscopic plane to Punta Gorda which is in the Toledo District in Southern Belize. I got to ride in the copilot seat!!! SO exciting although I kinda got freaked out when i look over and the pilot is laughing his head off and talking to someone on his headphone and writing notes on paper etc all the while we are in the air now I know they have autopilot but still kinda crazy.



Once we got to our camp, which by the way was AMAZING, (I got way blessed this year as our living quarters are way nicer than they had been in past trips we had bunk beds and an indoor shower and even a freezer for our water) we had dinner unpacked and prepared for he next day.

Throughout the first 8 days we were there we traveled by yellow school bus to different villages in the area to provide medical/dental/optical/social care to the people. these people don't have much access to dental care and not to mention it can be expensive, so the people would wait outside in 100+ boiling sun with crying babies to get teeth pulled!!

I ended up working in the dental area which is not by any means what I went on the trip planning to do, they needed help and said they needed a nurse, someone who was not squeamish to blood, to help them so I said ok well see how this goes..ends up I LOVED IT!!! I got to pull teeth, give the oral anesthesia injections, and hold many a hand and whisper many a word of encouragement, now of course I was working with a REAL dentist and he would tell me exactly what to do and such but it was so much fun!!!

I cannot begin to explain how we got through those days, only one word will suffice and that is GOD I don't know how I would have ever made it through the working conditions we had such as temps over 100 degrees in little buildings with minimal air circulation, you could just feel the sweat pouring out of every orifice, but it was awesome, God delivered us through it and we got up and did it day after day with smiles on our faces!!! I think something that really made it worth our time was seeing how eager people were to get teeth pulled and they would thank us with bloody gauze filled smiles and some people would ride bikes or walk several miles to come see us at the next camp the next day to have MORE teeth pulled

The trip was truly amazing, and the area was just beautiful as were the people.




That's me giving an injection!!!

Finally the last few days we got to go to Ambergris Caye for a little R&R which was an awesome end to such an awesome trip, we went snorkeling and I got chased by an eagle ray and saw nurse sharks and a baby sea turtle SO COOL!!!



The most special thing about the trip though was that I got to experience something my dear grandmother has loved for the last 12 years and this was her last year to go and my mom went too so we had three generations of women and it was truly special.

1 comment:

Cat Woman said...

Yea. I have been looking every day for a post. Excellent write up and it was an amazing trip. Thank You LORD for letting us three spend it together.


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved